Saturday, March 13, 2010

William Henry and Elizabeth (Johnson) Green

Seventh Generation

William Henry Green was born in New Hampshire in Nov 1857. His marriage to Elizabeth Johnson took place 27 Nov 1875, Joseph Gilman JP was the officiant.

Lizzie (as she was called) was the daughter of Cyrus and Betsy (Tuttle) Johnson. She was born 25 Jul 1853 and departed this life 13 Jun 1883 at the age of 29 having given birth to three children:
* Mabel Elizabeth: b 27 Jul 1876 Tamworth, NH
Edith M: b July 1878; d 12 Jan 1880
William: d 1883 w/mother in birth

William first appears in the records of 1779 owning one animal valued at $48, he paid taxes of $3.38. In 1880 (Tamworth) owning 1 ½ acres of land valued at $36; one scholar (his daughter Mabel). This was the last year he appears in these records.

William married again on 10 May 1884, Cora Etta Sweetser, of Stoneham, Massachusetts, both were 27 years old, There was no issue from their marriage, and there are still unanswered questions about both William and Lizzie and the preceding years.

In Sep 1883 Harriet Green conveyed a piece of land in Tamworth to her brother William, who sold this land 3 Nov 1892 to Lizzie’s brother Cyrus for $350. Cora Green, in the deed, released all interest to dower and homestead. Witnessed by Mabel Green (age abt 16) and Silas Deane, J.P.
The death of William Henry Green was the result of an accident while operating a box planer at Edward Perkins Lumber Mill, Newburyport, Massachusetts.

The Greens resided at 84 Purchase St, Newburyport. At his death, his assets consisted of “no real estate, $131.02 in a savings account and a US Liberty Loan Par Value $50. or a total of $181.02. When Cora died 9 years later she had an estate of $3,239.09 including marble clocks, black walnut table and over $2800 in the bank, plus the house and land in Newburyport valued at $3000. In 1928 Mabel (then Mabel Green Blanchard) received $1454.23 from the estate of her uncle Cyrus Johnson and no one in her family knew about it.

In Recall:
Mabel’s daughter Gladys remembers her Grandma and Grandpa Green(William & Cora)
I really know very little except that I had a nice visit each year for about three years with them. My mother would take me to the Malden Depot, put me on the train and the conductor was told I was to get off in Newburyport. My Grandfather always met me at the station and we went to his home on Purchase by street car. They did not have a car. Not too many people did at that time. That was about 1918. After Grandpa died, I believe Grandma Green still ran the little store. All I remember next was she became so ill and came to Malden and stayed at our house on Main Street ‘til she died. Both were very dear people and treated me so nice. I never knew Grandpa Green had any brothers or sisters. They never spoke of their relatives.

Mabel’s daughter Elva remembers Grammy Green (Cora)
She sent us packages all the time from her store. Boxes of candy and material for all my dresses. She was a wonderful mother toMom and a beautiful Grandmother. No mean stepmother. Gladys visited Newburyport during the time Grandpa lived and me, too, but I can’t remember how I got down there. I remember Grammy Green taking me to Plum Island for the day.


Thus seven generations with the Green name, then Blanchard, VanAmburg, Delorey.