Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm Back Again

I really went missing for longer than intended - lots happening and not enough hours in the day. Looks like I will have a great deal to talk about, starting with some interesting events in connection with the DAR 118th Continental Congress which I attended.

I had a delightful conversation with an old friend, Alden O’Brien (curator of costume and textiles) and Martha Pullen who I met for the first time. Martha Pullen’s latest book in the Favorite Places Series is “The DAR Museum”.

Fifty-plus garments are featured from this exquisite collection - dating from mid 1700s through early 1900s - baby, toddler, ladies garments and men’s waistcoats are photographed and fully and accurately described in the text - including info about any alterations.The author is Alden O'Brien and I sincerely hope there will be more of this type of publication.

Many of the garments are exquisitely embroidered and there are several additional pages of the embroidery designs featured that may be enlarged for hand embroidery and are also available for machine embroidery (all formats) on CD-ROM.
. . . more to come